Tuesday, December 8, 2015

The 12 Days of Graphic Novels Gift Giving Guide #1

HELLO!

I know, its been a while, but I've decided to rectify my absence by posting a TON of recommendations for Christmas presents. Graphic novels are my specialty, as I've written on my early loves of Archie comics and manga. I thought to myself, Self, wouldn't this be a fabulous time to create a graphic novel gift-giving guide? And you know what Is aid?

YES.

Duh, yes. I cannot believe I haven't thought of this before. People of all kinds can read my blog, not just library professionals (or, let's be real, friends or family). Now, I decided to make some criteria for myself before making this list. The following criteria are:


  1. These books must be in print and available for purchase through Amazon or B&N.
    • The reason I put this on here is because of my love for Half-Price Books. If you're unfamiliar with the Texas-based used book chain, they have an incredibly eclectic selection of books from all genres. That being said, they carry a lot of things that are out of print. I would hate to recommend something that is fabulous but you might have trouble finding.
  2. These graphic novels are good for an assortment of ages.
    • The graphic novels I order are primarily for children ages 10 and below. While there are tons of great books in this range that can be enjoyed by all ages, I am striving to share with you stories that I've read and think are great.  
  3. There are more graphic novels than just super heroes! 
    • If you don't regularly keep up with graphic novels or comics, its a common misconception to think that all that's available has the ability to fly and leap buildings in a single bound. This simply isn't the case and hasn't been for a very long time.  
Those three things are the main criteria.  My bias for certain themes or art styles may be present, mind, but I will do my best to simply put things on here I think have the potential to make someone's Christmas morning or Hanukkah night (though I know its already started!).

Look for my posts coming up shortly. I will start with one of everyone's all time favorite Blockhead...

Gift #1: Charlie Brown and Friends by Charles M. Schulz


http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2B%2Bl5zMOZL._SY344_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg 

Why?
With the November release of Blue Sky's The Peanuts Movie, Charlie Brown is more popular than ever. There has never been a lull in Chuck’s fandom, as his stories are still as relevant as ever. Children may not discuss things regarding the Great War or, heck, even know who the Red Baron is, but there are always Lucies and Linuses in the world.
This particular volume is comic strips blown up to fit a more standard size book. All in color, it features humorous stories of good ol’ Charlie Brown and his friends doing their usual shenanigans.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment